FAQ: Retiree Services and Discounts

Retiree parking permit

What are some of the services and discounts retirees receive?

Retirees can obtain a retiree AggieCard which identifies one's status as a retiree and provides access to campus resources and discounts at various campus venues. Some of the services and discounts retirees receive are use of the campus libraries, a complimentary Retiree (RT) parking permit, and the continued use of a UC Davis email account (emeriti), or complimentary email forwarding service (staff; Davis campus only). For more information on the Retiree Services page.

Are retirees from other UC campuses eligible for any services and discounts?

Retirees from other UC campuses or the UC Office of the President who live in the Davis vicinity are eligible to receive services from the Retiree Center and to join the UCDEA and/or UCDRA (as applicable). Retirees from other campuses should inform the Center of their contact information. Retirees who join either the UCDRA or UCDEA are eligible to receive a complimentary retiree (RT) parking permit from Transportation and Parking Services (TAPS). Some campus units offer retiree discounts to those from other campuses.

Are lump-sum payees eligible for any benefits?

Retirees who take a lump-sum payout are not eligible to continue any health and welfare benefits, receive the one-time death benefit or convert sick leave into service credit. However they are eligible to receive services from the Retiree Center and to join the UCDEA and/or UCDRA (as applicable). Lump-sum payees can also obtain an AggieCard and are eligible for complimentary parking passes, library privileges, and retiree discounts at campus units.

How does one obtain a retiree ID card?

Complete details to obtain this card are on the Retiree Center's Services page.

How does one obtain a library card?

Retirees are eligible for similar levels of services as when they were employees (see on-line access below). A library bar code will be applied to the retiree's AggieCard. Privileges for retired staff must be renewed annually; privileges for emeritus/a faculty do not expire. For more information, contact the library directly at:
   Telephone: (530) 752-6561

How does one access the library on-line?

Only emeriti/ae professors qualify for a full computing account and therefore access to the on-line library databases. Retired staff who are working for a department in retirement can be sponsored by the department using the Temporary Affiliate Form. Depending on one's affiliate classification, the Library may grant access to the on-line databases.

The Library is under strict contracts as to who can access their databases, so visiting scholars, researchers, students, Open Campus students, University Extension students and many others do not qualify and cannot access those databases even though they all have Kerberos accounts. If it is found that UC Davis is in violation of the contracts access to those on-line databases can be permanently revoked for the entire campus.

How does one get an retiree (RT) parking permit?

Complete details to obtain an RT parking permit are on the Retiree Center's Services page.

Can retirees keep their UC Davis email address?

Complete details about email account continuation are on the Retiree Center's Services page.

What discounts do retirees receive?

Retirees can receive discounts at the Department of Campus Recreation, the Mondavi Center for the Performing Arts, the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, University Dining Services and Unitrans. For more details on all of these discounts, visit the Retiree Center's Services page.

Return to FAQs